Monday, March 2, 2015

"All I Know About The Rain"

My shoes are ruined and my clothes submerged in water, but I couldn't feel anything. All I felt was numbness from standing in the rain for too long. My arms felt heavy, and my legs ready to give out. My face has loss all feeling, truly making me feel the wrath of the storm. Water came down in a steady pace. It covered everything that lay below it in a clear sweep of water. My heart sank deep beneath my chest. Much lower than where it belonged. So deep, that it surpassed all my other organs, body parts, and limbs, until finally crashing against the ground where I stood. I couldn't stop starring at my feet. I just kept imagining my heart scattered into pieces below me. "Im sorry," he uttered, barely able to spit out the words. "I'm sorry," I repeated it again in my head, but still, the words did nothing for me. I felt his apology pass through me like a ghost, until they faded away into the background. I began to sob, but he would never be able to tell. The rain was pouring to hard to make out any noises besides pitter patter on the concrete.I hung my head down, still starring at my feet. My tears mixed into the rain making it impossible to distinguish between the two, almost completely concealing my sadness from him. I had nothing to say, but I gathered enough strength to raise my gaze to finally look him in the eyes. His eyes were like a sad puppy, except without the innocence. "Even a puppy knows right from wrong. A puppy knows he's not supposed to pee in the house. Just like you knew exactly what you were doing," I thought to myself still locking away all my emotions from fleeing me. I finally spoke, "Why?" But it was more for myself rather than him. It was a whisper that was obscured from the pounding of the rain. He easily read my lips, making out what I had said. He continued to give his explanation, but I didn't care to listen. The whole time he spoke, I just starred blankly at his face, now producing streams like a river with rain water falling from the storm. I fought back saying all the harsh thoughts that were rushing through my head, and instead, waited for him to finish his worthless explanation. He stopped talking, being interrupted by a vigorous clash of thunder. I finally spoke, this time loud enough for him to hear me. I wanted to spit anger at him through my words, but the only thing that came out of my mouth was, "Goodbye." As I pulled away, for the last time, I took one final look at the face of the man I once loved. I felt nothing, not love, not anger, not even sadness. For the first time in my life, I felt at peace. The rain roared down upon everything below it in full power now. I pushed through the water until I disappeared into the storm. I never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment